So you’ve just gotten engaged to the love of your life and you’re ready to start wedding planning?
Boy, are you in for a treat!
Your wedding will be one of the most memorable days of your life as you’ll celebrate your new life with your spouse with family and friends. But as fun as weddings are, they involve a lot planning and the whole process can get pretty stressful if you’re not careful. As you plan, you’ll probably have a million questions running through your mind.
Then there’s the cost. Costs of weddings and wedding receptions seem to go up every year and it’s very easy for couples to get overwhelmed during the planning process. With so many ideas on the Internet these days, couples can literally window (or screen) shop for hours trying to find everything they need.
If you’re on a budget and planning to do a DIY wedding, here are some tips for pulling it off so it’s just as memorable as a big budget wedding:
- No gifts: Wedding gifts are great, but you can ask your friends to help plan and participate in your wedding instead of asking for gifts. If you’ve got friends that love decorating, they can help set up the wedding venue. If you’ve got a photographer friend, you can have them shoot wedding photos.
Speaking of presents, you can also take time to write out personal notes for your groomsmen and bridesmaids rather than getting gifts. If you’re really serious about doing a low-key, DIY wedding, they should understand and respect your wishes.
- Rent materials: Rather than booking a large wedding venue, you can choose to have a wedding at your home or a friend’s home. It can be the perfect spot to hold your wedding and your reception. Set up some tables, chairs and tents to provide some shade for your wedding guests and get to decorating.
If you go that route, you can get with a rental company for all your outdoor event rentals you’ll need. Outdoor event rentals companies will be able to hook you up with a party tent, wedding chairs, wedding lighting rentals and anything else you may need. When you look at tents, it helps to provide an outdoor event rentals company with specs so they can supply you with exactly what you need.
- Curb the guest list: It’s been estimated that the average number of guests for a wedding is 136. Creating a guest list can tricky, but curbing it can be even trickier. Ask yourself what your cap limit is going to be for guests. That will help you figure out who absolutely needs to be there for the big day.
- Skip the catering: Catered food is delicious and convenient, but it can also be costly. For a DIY wedding, you can have family members cook the food, ensuring your guests will be treating to a delicious homemade meal.
- Shop around for decorations: If you’re going the DIY route for decorating, there are any number of craft stores like Michaels and Hobby Lobby that have sales all the time. You can get everything you need to fit the theme you have. You can also check around with recently married couples you know and see if they’re willing to sell you any items they no longer need. They may have quite a few things you can use and they don’t mind parting with.
- Keep things simple: When it comes to decorating, keep the theme simple. Picking two or three colors will help you coordinator all the bits and pieces you need and can even help with your outdoor event rentals.
Your wedding day should undoubtedly be memorable, but remember that it should be about the union of you and your spouse. When it comes to the wedding planning, keeping things simple and going the DIY route can make things a lot less stressful. There are a great number of things you can do to create a memorable experience and relaxing event for yourselves and your friends and family without breaking the bank or stressing out over the whole experience.